The reason why I'm pushing to get a funding proposal in shape immediately is because a fellow volunteer with Bridge, Catherine, is working on applying to a huge ($250,000) grant whose application is due in the next few weeks. She's asked a few volunteers, myself included, to push our communities to complete proposals that she can group together when applying for the grant, since each of our proposals is only about $50,000 or less. This is an incredible opportunity for Kpeleho; I feel that with Catherine writing on behalf of multiple communities, chances of winning the grant are improved. Without this money, I think it will be a long, long time before Kpeleho can acquire a grant. Of course, this doesn't mean that development will be stunted because they will likely apply for loans, but a grant would give them a push in the right direction, I think.
In other news:
- I've been having vivid dreams since I arrived, which I believe are due to my malaria prophylactic. I'm taking Malarone, not Larium, for this reason; supposedly Larium makes you have crazy dreams and can intensify any latent or mild psychoses that you have (so, all of you at home should be thankful that I didn't choose Larium). But for some reason every night I have either really amazing or really distressing dreams, so it's not uncommon for me to wake during the night because I've started laughing or crying. I have lots of dreams about food – that may just be because I'm beginning to feel the monotony of eating only one type of cuisine on a daily basis. I had a dream the other night that I had a pet bunny and a pet kitten, and the bunny got sick and needed an organ transplant. I took both bunny and kitten to the vet (I had to catch the kitten first, and initially it looked like a hen until I caught it by the scruff of the neck, at which point it turned into a kitten) and planned to have the necessary organ removed from the kitten and transplanted into the bunny. It was something essential, maybe the liver; basically, the kitty would have to die. I put the struggling kitten down on the vet's examining table, where it sat, petrified at what was going to happen next, and I was crying tears of anguish until I realized that the kitten's life wasn't worth more than the bunny's life. Then I dried my tears and whisked my kitten back home, letting the bunny die – its time had come. Hmm. I suppose this one could have been the Malarone, or it could have been a combination of a twisted lesson in bioethics, practice catching struggling farmyard animals, and what happens when you watch a squirrel being butchered.
- One of the foods that I've been craving has been peanut butter. They have something here called groundnut paste, which is just ground peanuts and nothing else. It's usually used in groundnut soup. I discovered that it's actually even more satisfying than peanut butter! When I go home I'm never buying peanut butter again. I'm going to grind my own in a food processor.
- To provide shade, people here put palm canopies in front of their homes. Since I spent a lot of afternoons at Gloria's house, Christopher build a canopy there so I would have shade (further evidence that I'm overly well-taken-of here). He used bamboo that he cut from the bush to build the structure and then piled palm branches on top. For the first couple of days he brought more palm branches and piled them on, until even when the palm branches dried there was no sunlight coming through the canopy. It was pretty cool to see him put it up. Little things like the fact that people use palm canopies are what give this whole experience the real village-y feel.
I think I will close here for now, but more on the rest of my week later!
1 comment:
Read all your latest entries.
Loved it....Aai
Post a Comment